Friday, January 10, 2014

Eva Dress by Tessuti - floral version

I made up my second version of the Tessuti Eva Dress using a floral stretch cotton sateen from Rathdowne Fabrics. I really like the lantern style skirt and the finish of the neck, armholes and hem of this dress. I thought I would give this pattern a go again using a print.
Front
Back
I shortened the lower skirt panel by 8 cm and used a commercial white 25mm white bias binding for the binding of the neckline, armholes and skirt hem instead of cutting 3cm wide bias strips from the fashion fabric. Using the commercial bias binding saved a lot of fabric as well as insuring that my bias was accurate. The 25mm bias when ironed flat and then pressed in half was just a smidge wider than the pattern instructions. I found that it gave me a little more width to work with. It also had the added advantage of having the original press mark to use as a guide when attaching the bias. It will be a fun dress to wear on a hot summer's day as the fabric is heavy enough to not have to be worn over a slip. (I must be showing my age!)
I so like this pattern that I have cut out the short-sleeved version using a floral print for the bodice and a washed linen for the skirt. I hope to sew it early next week.

2 comments:

  1. This will be perfect for our current hot weather. I love rathdowne remnants such lovely but quality fabric.

    ReplyDelete